Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

14 Great Science Fiction Books - The Ultimate Epic Quest

I have been a science fiction fan for over 30 years and I want to know why I am just now hearing about Terry Brooks and his Shannara Series! Well, actually...I am just now coming out of a 14 book reading binge.

As the name of my blog implies, there are too many good books out there and not enough time to read them all. I am what I describe as an emotional reader; I read books that fit my mood. Everything from Politics, Science, Classic Lit, Poetry, Short Story, Graphic Novel, you name it! I read it, if I'm in the mood. So for me to plow through thousands and thousands of pages by the same author, in a short amount of time, says a lot about that author's work!

What made my reading spree even more fantastical is that all 14 books were part of one over-arching story! Science Fiction heaven! Us Sci-Fi fans love our created worlds and rich characters and Terry Brooks' literary feat transports the reader right next to a bevy of characters.

Reviewing each one would just rob you of precious minutes that you could use to read Terry Brooks, so I will provide a real brief framework overview:

The Elfstones of Shannara
All of the books follow the classic "hero's journey" formula. We have the unlikely hero who is called to take part in a quest. The hero is always a member/descendants of a character who was infused with the magic of elf stones. The power of the Elfstones manifests differently with each decedent. As with every hero's journey, the main character develops/matures as they discover their talent/ability and overcome an obstacle with the help of a mentor. In the case of the Shannara Series, the mentor is always a Druid (decedents of humans that have devoted their life to the protection of the Four Lands and the development of their magical knowledge and ability).

The Sword of Shannara
The Wishsong of Shannara                                                   
                                                               

The Heritage of Shannara:

The Scions of Shannara
                         
                                 The Druid of Shannara
The Elf Queen of Shannara

The Talismans of Shannara

The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara:

Ilse Witch
Anthrax
Morgawr

High Druid of Shannara:

Jarka Russ
                 
                Tanequil
Straken


I discovered 8 more novels, plus a graphic novel and novella, in this series as I was looking up the book jackets for this post. With that being said...I gotta get to reading!

Happy Reading!
Heather

No comments: