Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Dear John - Nicholas Sparks - 4 Stars

Dear John Dear John by Nicholas Sparks


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Tug at your heartstrings kind of books are not my typical cuppa tea. I usually go for fantasy, sci-fi, or even the occasional contemporary fiction.

Give me blood, guts, chilling humanoid or even nonhumanoid creatures that threaten the common good or societies constructs. Give me blood oozing out of crypts, 30 foot poisonous spiders waiting in anticipation around the corner, vile war lords that oppress, plot, and scheme. Anyone that knows me will also attest that I am a sucker for the underdog and the unexpected.

I need an escape. I deal with enough "real world" stuff to fill my day (and even beyond). Needless to say, the drama and heartbrake that I encounter as I help others leaves me drained and desiring to go far far away.

So far I have ranted for 3 paragraphs about why I should not like/typically would not chose to pick up a book like Dear John. The story came into my possession through a book giveaway on one of my fellow book worshipers blogs. Having won an audio version, I figured it wouldn't hurt to pop it into my cd player on my hour and a half trip (each way) to grad school.

I have never listened to a book on tape/cd (elementary school doesn't count). I wasn't sure what to expect, but thought I could at least listen to the first disc and go from there. My initial thought was that they should have gotten a female to portray Savanah. That was my only grip.

I was easily dragged into the story. Wanting to hate it and chalk it up to the evil, despised "chic lit," I was left with wanting to know how it was all going to work out.

While some of the story line was transparent, it was interesting. Like I said, I made it through all 8 cd's not just the first one. And yes, I admit...I cried on multiple occasions towards the end. That is precisely the reason why I tend to avoid these types of situations.

Overall, I was treated with a good story line and found out that I really like books on cd.

Happy Reading!

View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

I don't really do audios. I tend to leave the room and forget they are playing!

I've read a few Nicholas sparks and kind of wanted to read this one or atleast see the movie. I saw the preview and almost cried buckets of tears just watching that!