Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

Lords of Darkness - Soulless - 5 Stars

The Soulless (Lords of Darkness, #1) The Soulless by L.G. Burbank


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
When I first picked this up I expected it to be filled with blood, guts, horror, etc. I was not disappointed. However, I also found deeper literary connections to the writers reflections of the human spirit and classic motifs of "a savior for mankind" I know, I know, these type of "fun reads" are supposed to be only that "fun" with no social message or intellectual connection. After all this is a "horror" book. How can we have blood and guts and a message for mankind? Seriously? Blood and guts don't go with mankind? That's a stretch you say? To say that mankind is without the blood and guts is the real fallacy. Don't get me wrong, I don't think this book will insight political change but I do think that the author has done a great job tapping into the archetypal theme of humankind's damnation and their salvation hinging one one person. Either by accident or genius, using the Jesus motif in a vampire/paranormal book is a fun take on a classic theme.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: