Pages

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Shades of Grey - Jasper Fforde - 5 Stars

Shades of Grey Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I debated between a 4 and 5 star review, so if you are on the edge look at it as a 5. The reason that I went for a 4 is that I didn't realize that it was the first book in a series and that there were so many questions brought up in the book and not enough answers for my liking.

With that being said, I stayed up to the weee hours of the morning turning the pages. The concepts presented in the book are very clever and unique. I have read a ton of sci-fi and this one definitely sets it's self apart from the formulated/calculated story line and developments of your typical sci-fi book.

Set in a corrupt post apocalyptic world that takes place after "The Something That Happened," Shades of Grey provides intrigue and novel concepts that trigger the imagination and opens up countless opportunities. Just what a great Sci-Fi should be. Ah heck, I'll give it 5 stars!

View all my reviews >>

2 comments:

E.J. Stevens said...

Jasper Fforde is a brilliant author that too few readers know about. Great post!

Simcha said...

I love Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next books and have been eying Shades of Grey for a while. I find it particularly interesting that this is the third book that I've come across recently with a magic system related to color, the other two being Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (which I read and loved and Spellwright by Black Charlton (which I haven't read, but sounds interesting).