Pages

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Ceremony

Ceremony Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I have never read a book like this. This book is intense in that you have no idea what is going on in the first 75 pages. There are so many flash backs and flash forwards. The author grabs the reader and immerses them into the book. They are forced to participate.

Just as the main character has PTSD (unknown at the time)from WWII, so does the reader. Effectively and engagingly done. As the central character Tayo reconnects with his heritage and begins to heal so does the flow of the story. It finishes with a balance of harmony of the present and hope for the future.

Definitely a recommended book, but not for the faint of heart. It will challenge your mind come away with a new outlook on the balance between heritage and adapting to the current hegemony.

View all my reviews >>


The above review is taken from my goodreads review. I so love goodreads! It's a facebook for book lovers. Need I say more?

Anyway, this is the book that I have selected to write my major essay on in my Native American Lit course. I'm trying to flush out the wording for my thesis statement, but it's going to be about Tayo's emotional healing as he moves closer balance and harmony with his heritage and beliefs. In need to wrap my mind around it a bit. If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Happy Reading!
-Heather

No comments: